1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  → Potential signs of carbon monoxide poisoning at work 

Potential signs of carbon monoxide poisoning at work 

On Behalf of | Oct 5, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

If you work in enclosed spaces, you face a greater risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The gas is invisible and odorless, and it would typically dissipate if you were exposed outside. If there is a gas leak or the use of certain machines that creates a buildup of carbon monoxide in an enclosed space, though, the gas can reach dangerous levels. 

To help protect yourself, you need to know what symptoms to watch for. Remember that you could be exposed due to someone else’s mistake, so you may not even know that there is a risk. You have to identify the symptoms as early as possible so that you can seek safety and leave the area where the gas levels are too high. 

The top 7 symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) note that many people have flu-like symptoms when they have inhaled too much carbon monoxide. They feel like they’re getting mildly sick over time. This is why it’s so dangerous for those who are sick, drunk or asleep. They may never notice the symptoms before the gas can become fatal. 

In any case, the seven main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning listed by the CDC include:

  • Confusion
  • Chest pain
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Upset stomach
  • Weakness

It is possible to confuse these with other major issues. If you have chest pain and confusion, for instance, you may think that you are having a heart attack. No matter what, it is important to seek proper medical assistance as soon as you can. Once you have done this, then you can begin looking into your rights to workers’ comp if you have medical bills, lost wages and the like.